Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Project RAHUL




by
Gaurav Kumar

Its always been an internal verbosity which curbs any kind of confusion or conflict to get into so called difficult movement of social change and philanthropic work, but today it was the silence. A silence which has lots of questions within it, a plethora of inferences inside.

The decision of entering into disability sector was never so difficult as I understood that the problems are apparent and the need is too. The challanges have never been detrimental , never got any feeling of discouragement as I always knew its worth even to do 1% of the need for the betterment.
The issues which have not been looked at and the challanges which are not even recorded are not hidden from anyone who has even a miniscule interest and awareness of the situation in India for special needs. Every kind of limitation stands as a different monstrous challange for the people who are involved in facing it.

It was always question of finding the right way of fighting with a certain kind of disability so far. Today, it was a different experience , an experience of silence as I described above, an interaction with the making of a disability. Dr. Bhatia might be just talking of a subject when he said there is no hope for Rahul to get back to the condition of exhibiting dexterity, Rehabilitation is the only hope, for me it was a whole human life getting LIMITED in front of my eyes. It was not a fear of not keeping up to the expectations of Deepak bhai to give complete ambulatory privileges to his 4 yrs old toddler. it ws not the fear of facing Rahul's mom, look into her eyes and say a NO, it was not the fear of getting another sleepless night for one more heart touching incident... the question was "Will Rahul get what he can, are we ready for facilitating one more life with the opportunities which has no limits".

The anxiety needed a word of wisdom, meeting with Mrs. Brinda Nanavati, I know, is a panacea. Her confident discussion gives me an energy to keep the light burning inside me. She talks about lack of early intervention programmes for differently abled kids across the country. There are no dedicated and reliable centre which can evaluate and plan the facilitation for special children. Rahul is one such case, I have to find the best way to serve to a promise made to myself.

On my way back , I saw deaf kids dancing on the tunes of ZOOBI DOOBI, To dance on a tune without knowing it is POSSIBLE, it is not just possible it is awaesome, exemplary. With my eyes mesmerized at those small feet beating in harmony and serene faces which could even acknowledge my appreciation, I decided, Something will be done for the early intervention fo kids with special needs, for the planning of supporting parents like Deepak bhai for knowing that their child is SPECIAL and will be treated specially in this land.

This DARE will be named "PROJECT RAHUL"

No comments:

Post a Comment